Dr. Stephen D. Brookfield is extending his office hours and you’re invited to stop by for help.
We’re thrilled to announce that Dr. Brookfield, the John Ireland Endowed Chair at the University of St. Thomas (MN), is the latest teaching expert to get interviewed for our ongoing video series for ACUE’s Course in Effective Teaching Practices— and we want your questions!
Leave a comment with your teaching and learning questions below. You can also email your questions, leave a comment on our Facebook page, or tweet at us on Twitter. We’ll sort through the questions and pose them to Dr. Brookfield when he comes to our offices next week.
Dr. Brookfield has written, co-written or edited 17 books on classroom discussion, teaching, adult learning, and critical thinking. One of his best known works is the second edition of The Skillful Teacher, considered by many to be required reading for teachers looking to hone their craft.
Looking for his advice on how you can improve your own practice? Stumped on how to spark a great discussion about the day’s thorniest issues? Curious about what, exactly, critical thinking means and how to instill it in your classroom?
Dr. Brookfield will discuss these and other topics:
- How to get students talking with one another in a large classroom.
- How to have great discussions in the classroom.
- How to deliver a creative and engaging lecture.
- How to help students learn on their own.
- How to encourage students to think critically and provide feedback on your practice.
- How to support underprepared students for college-level work.
- How to create a safe and supportive classroom community for all students.
Leave your question in the comments section. After the interview, we’ll post Dr. Brookfield’s answers in follow-up blog entry.
Interested in joining the ACUE Community? Sign up to become a member.