Do my students understand what a professor is?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia Akhimie
      Participant

I have been contemplating adding something to the list of things I go over with my students at the start of each semester. I have been wondering whether it might be useful for my students to understand a little more about the nature of my job. I think it might be useful to describe in more detail the work of research, writing, and administrative work that I do outside the classroom. This may be especially crucial for professors in the humanities. How much do your students understand about the work you do?

Muhammad Sana Ullah
      Participant

I have been teaching ECE 226 Logic Design in the department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at University of Missouri-Kansas City. I believe it is very important to discuss in details about the outcome of the course, what will learn form this course so that student has clear view about it.

Jamie P
      Participant

I think it’s a great idea to have students be aware of that. It helps you be relatable and thus approachable. Throughout the semester, especially if I am focusing on composition skills or research, I would like to give them some of my own tips of what I do, but I would still like to make it inclusive by creating an “exchange,” because we can always learn from each other!

Nathasha Brooks
        Participant

Hi Jamie,
        I found that transparency on our part is so important. The students seem to see us as automatons and think we crank out the lessons and assignments. However, I found that being honest with them about our work is so helpful. As you said, we can learn from each other. When they offer ideas, they are often excellent ones. I so value the things I’ve learned from my students. That was one of the high points of the semester for me.

Best,
        Nathasha

Jamie P
          Participant

Nathasha,

I like your use of “transparency,” as I think that is a good term to sum it up. I think being personable is tremendously helpful in aiding the students to see us as allies in learners with them while still being their teacher, too. When my professor was honest about how she herself works as a “student,” or when another professor introduced various methods on how to write a research paper, that was all so tremendously helpful to me. Having students exchange ideas with each other in a roundtable discussion on various methods helps them engage with each other, too. I think I would like to have a few workshops just on methods so that they have the opportunity to convene on these basic but important skills necessary to succeed in college and beyond. Your experience is encouraging to hear!

Jamie P
      Participant

Now that the semester has come to a close for many, have you found that your students better understand what a professor is, and if so, how has that new or reinforced information for them impacted their learning experience in your classroom? I am curious to hear, and of course, would love to know how any of the ACUE techniques worked out for you and for the students!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.