Teacher Appreciation Week – share your stories

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin Kelly
      Keymaster

Hi everyone,
      It’s National Teacher Appreciation Week! Please share a story about your experience as a college or university educator, students showing appreciation, a memory of a teacher you had, or perhaps someone who inspired you to teach. We look forward to hearing your stories and celebrating our important work. Kevin

Nathasha Brooks
      Participant

Hi Everyone,
      I have had so many inspirations that made me want to teach. I come from a long line of educators and saw excellent teaching practices early on. One professor in particular was my biggest inspiration. Dr. Bayne-Smith was perhaps the most difficult professor I ever had because she require that we think critically and stretch our mind in ways it had never been stretched before. Mediocrity was not tolerated in her classroom. She gave us assignments that were quite lengthy and tedious and she expected them to be done well. She settled for nothing less. She even suggested that we sleep with our textbook for her course because that was how much we’d read and consult it. Although she worked us hard, she also gave us valuable life lessons that I remember to this day. She always threw them in and told us things we could use beyond her Public Policy class. Her passion for education was evident. She had earned her doctorate and was a tenured professor. She was proud of her accomplishments and told us that we should “reach for the stars” educationally. She also explained to us that we should get as much education as possible because it is something that no one could take away from us and that we should not let gender or race stop us. I looked at her professional life and how successful she was and she became my role model. I began thinking about pursuing a PhD one day and getting as much education as I could. I had never seen a professor that passionate about teaching and inspiring her students to greatness. Dr. Bayne-Smith passed away and she left an indelible mark in the field of education. I feel honored to have studied under her tutelage. To me, she represented what good teaching is all about.
      Respectfully,
      Nathasha

Kevin Kelly
        Keymaster

Thank you, Nathasha, for the amazing story about Dr. Bayne-Smith. She clearly set high expectations in her course and encouraged all of you to set equally high goals for your own education and careers. I am sure that you carry on this tradition with your students. Now, thanks to you, I will encourage my students even more than I already do!

Best wishes,
        Kevin

Jamie P
      Participant

Professor Gwendolyn Kane was one of my most inspirational professors, because she was so down-to-earth in relating to us and to the literature she taught. Her style made literature so much more accessible to students like me who started the class already liking English and for those might have cared less – but those who made the switch let her know about that positive impact!

Kevin Kelly
        Keymaster

Thank you for sharing one of the inspirational teachers in your life, Jamie! Taking the time to make the course concepts and materials more meaningful to the students is so important. Please feel free to share any specific techniques that Professor Kane modeled for making literature accessible to a variety of students. Perhaps there’s a technique I can use for my own class!

Best wishes,
        Kevin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.