Timing!! (tick tock tick tock)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Zoe Cohen
      Participant

Timing is an area that I am working on…but could use as much insight as possible! I have seen a huge shift in the amount of time it takes to cover material as I’ve progressed as a teacher (I’m in my 10 year now)…and wonder if others have experienced the same thing:
      When I started teaching…my slides (I use powerpoint…I’m in large classrooms of around 150-200 students) had much more material on them, and yet I very often finished lectures early…prompting me to add history and background information, just to try and fill out the time…In time, I’ve removed quite a bit of material from the slides (including most of the history…unless needed)…and yet I very rarely finish a lecture on the day I plan to…Part of this is getting wonderful questions from students…which can lead to really fun discussions….
      I was wondering if others have experienced this problem (a good problem in my opinion) and how they combat it?

Jamie P
      Participant

I can relate very much to this issue, and it can become very stressful! I would say to definitely prioritize student-led discussion if they initiate it, and if it is constructive and relevant, of course. Practice always helps, but that might be a lot with all of the courses to teach… Have you ever timed yourself on a given day? This might give you an insight how long it takes “on average.” Perhaps give a feedback survey to the students and ask for their opinion on how you distribute amounts of time on certain things in class to know for sure.

Zoe Cohen
      Participant

Great suggestions! I did ask my students about how long I was allowing for student run discussions…and they tended to say I gave too much time…so I did try to shorten that!
      I have actually ever timed myself…I should do that to get a better understanding…I think partly that my lectures don’t have “question” time built in…partly because it really depends on the students…I’ve had years where nobody talks, nobody asks questions etc…and then years such as this one…where they ask so many questions (and so many good questions!!)…
      So maybe my best course of action is to “go with the flow”…and in years like this one, cut some of the not-really-needed material out to account for the questions…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.